Questions

frisian warriors ad 500- 800

Posted by deeguit on 21 Jun 2013, 12:36

Hello,

I am looking for some reference material of frisian warriors who battled the merovigian and carolingian franks. Hardly anything to find on the internet since everything in the dark ages happened in England apparently :-D

I am want to build a frisian army since i live in the netherlands in the province of Zeeland to be precise and between roughly 500-800ad was wherethe frisians lived.

So books, internet sites but ofcourse also tips on what figures to use.

Marc
deeguit  Netherlands

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Jun 2013, 12:48

This post should go under 'Questions,' which is also a pretty good way to insure that no one will answer it.

:lol: :lol:
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by sirsteelstrings on 21 Jun 2013, 13:47

Ok, after some research I found the following:

Armies of the dark ages by Ian Heath includes a ton of reference material for the dark ages including an image of a frisian soldier during the frankish wars.

I also found that someone else had asked this question elsewhere and someone provided them with a detailed answer!

[1] Only the most wealthy Frisian warriors could afford full military equipment. The Lex Ribuaria, from the era 630 – 750 AD, which applied to Cologne / Koln region of Germany (fairly close to Frisia), shows us that: -
• A suit of chain mail cost the equivalent of 12 cows.
• A sword + scabbard cost the equivalent of 7 cows.
• A helmet cost the equivalent of 6 cows.
• A set of greaves cost the equivalent of 6 cows.
• A shield + a spear cost the equivalent of 2 cows.
• A horse cost the equivalent of 7 cows.
So, a fully equipped warrior, mounted on a horse, would have needed 40 cows to pay for all his war gear. Only the very wealthiest warriors could have afforded so much.

[2] The average grunt would have had to make do with just 2 cows worth of military equipment = a shield and a spear. He would have had no body or leg armour, no helmet, no sword, no horse. He might, however, have been able to afford a stabbing knife (blade length 15 cm or less).

See http://www.keesn.nl/price/en1_intro.htm as the source for the above notes.

[3] Like other Germanic tribes of the period, Frisians fought mainly on foot, using melee weapons. The average infantryman usually lacked armour of any kind (possibly wearing a leather jerkin). The basic warrior's equipment was a six to eight foot (2 to 2.5 meters) long spear and a round shield three foot (1 meter) in diameter. Basic clothing: wool trousers or leggings; shoes; belted wool tunic; wool cloak. Frisian warbands might include a few skirmishers using missile weapons: either a short bow or a sling. Skirmishers carried neither shield nor spear, though they would often have a war knife.
The miniatures shown at this site http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dba74- ... 4-75a.html offer several illustrations of both average and elite warriors for your period.

[4] Do not be confused by the illustration in this Wikipedia site about the murder of Bonifacius. The missionary Boniface was murdered in Frisia in 754 AD, just a few years after your period. The illustration shows Boniface being attacked by Frisian warriors, all of whom are in full mail body armour and helmeted, one having also greaves; the same one is hacking at Boniface with a long sword. Unfortunately, the illustration is not from 754 AD, but from 975 AD. As was common practice with medieval illustrators, the artist portrayed weapons and equipment from his own time, not from the historic time period of the event. So the illustration gives no accurate notion of Frisian weapons and equipment for your time period.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marte ... fatius.jpg

I hope that helps you!
sirsteelstrings  

Posted by deeguit on 21 Jun 2013, 14:31

@sirsteelstrings,

Thanks for the answer it is very helpfull indeed. It seems to me that you can use dark age figures from 1/72 manufactures as long as thereare no armour or tipically saxon headdress involved.

Thanks again
deeguit  Netherlands

Posted by Xantippos on 21 Jun 2013, 17:32

I made a modification for a pc game, Rome Total War, and one of the factions was the Frisians. After a lot of research, I couldn't arrive to many conclusions, basically;

Very similar to Saxons, but probably without the saxon cloth hat being so predominant.
I got many units from a very good historially researched mod, in which they shown Nobles very similar to Angle ones.
Some women were buried with weapons, and there exists a bronze chest armour for women, so at least there had some queens that wore armour (I can't find it now, but I had a pic).
Here is a Spearman, I think of 700 ad more or less;

The only pic I've found that actually depicts a frisian.

The Batavians, after being defeated by the romans after a rebellion, some were incorporated to the roman army and some others "lived with the frisians" according to historical sources. So I gave them the famous Batavian Cavalry.

And finally, here are the looks of some of the units I made;

I gave them as banner a sort of dragon, which was just a germanic symbol I found on a website. And obviously, I had to choose a colour and I decided for orange :P .

This is the unit of Frisian Female Warriors I made,

I made some warriors with wolf/bear skins, as the Batavians wore. I thought if it was common with their neighbours, maybe they would also have used it.

The mod depicted 476 ad so it will be ok for the earlier part you want to depict.

Hope it is of use to you.
Xantippos  

Posted by deeguit on 22 Jun 2013, 17:31

@xantippos,

Thank for the info very helpfull.

Marc
deeguit  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Questions