Questions

How to tips needed? (Trimming brushes)

Posted by Bramble15 on 19 Apr 2013, 15:37

I am looking for tips and or practices that members use to trim/re-shape and otherwise modify their brushes. For example I have a number of 5/0 brushes that I would like to trim to make thinner for better detail application. I have tried about 3 times and not recieved the results I wanted. Any and all responses appreciated.

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Fenton on 19 Apr 2013, 23:12

From previous experience I have never been able to trim one successfully and they just fray quite quickly again...better just to use them as general drybrushing and block painting brushes when there done
Fenton  

Posted by Simo Hayha on 21 Apr 2013, 04:14

Some have suggested artists gel. Once you trim them though they are done.
Simo Hayha  

Posted by monsty01 on 21 Apr 2013, 09:02

I would agree with the other replies, the way to make a good brush is by using it on bigger jobs and the natural point will come with use. The brush
will naturally form its own point IF its a good quality brush .. Sable brush's are expensive but you pay for what you get .

Trimming the brush with scissors does not work very well ..

I generally use a 0 size bush using it on larger projects until its worn down to a fine point, then put it to one side and only use for fine work you will have a great point.

Just one more tip .. I use Vallejo paint, water colours ..Here in the UK we have a hand cleanser/soap to wash greasy dirty hands, called SWARFEGA ..This soap is
in a jelly form,once finished painting for the day drag the brush through the jell binging the bristles to a nice point. The swarfega soap does not dry out very quickly so any paint left in your brush will not dry and when you come back to paint again, wash the brush out in water before you start.... .. brush is clean and back to a nice point .

Enjoy ur paintin !

regards

Pete ..
monsty01  

Posted by poky on 24 May 2013, 23:14

I have heard putting hair conditioner on the brushes hairs works well to help to keep there shape and even reshape them after, never tried it myself sadly I hardly paint anymore
poky  Netherlands

Posted by Xantippos on 28 May 2013, 18:14

I need to try that of the hair conditioner. I normally buy very cheap nail brushes, which are nearly as good as modellers ones and just because they are not sold to modellers costs not even half what a modeller brush costs! I used to buy some for 3,50 € each, and now I have bought 4 for 1 €, and they are just as good or better.
Xantippos  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Questions