Questions

What Company Makes The Best Napoleonic Cavalry

Posted by Dragoon on 26 Feb 2013, 05:15

Just a question from a new guy. I have painted 1/35 scale armour for many years and have now lost the taste for it. Iam a member of the Royal Canadian Dragoons in real life and have grown towards painting historical cavalry units of the napoleonic period. My question is who makes the most detailed and accurate figures regardless of nation of that period in 1/72? That said my interest is more towards the British and French units. Also proportion is important. The last thing i would like to ask is are there any kits available that represent Banastre Tarleton's British Legion light dragoons mounted from the American Revolution? Or can someone point me in the diection of a kit that could be converted.

Thanks in advance for all replys
Regards
Dragoon
Dragoon  Canada

Posted by Marshall Nay on 26 Feb 2013, 07:07

Hi Dragoon,
As far as I know, Italeri makes the only set in plastic that comes close to Tarleton's cavalry.
PSR points out the various accuracy problems here: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=713

HaT has just begun developing a American War of Independence series with a variety of troop types, including dragoons. The masters look really promising, but it could be a number of years before they hit the shelves. :thumbup:
Marshall Nay  United States of America

Posted by Bramble15 on 27 Feb 2013, 00:36

First of all welcome Dragoon.
My personal favorites are Hat, Zvezda and Strelets, believe it or not. I am not sure one company can actually address all of your points.
Hat = huge range, many nations, minimal poses, overall proportions pretty reasonable, accuracy (I am no expert)
Zvezda = limited range, nice selection of poses, great sculpting, some sets seem to be larger than the 1/72 would indicate.
Strelets = nice range, 12 individual poses per set, scupting, details and style all up to the buyer. What looks like a real crappy set online, can really be made into a beautiful set. I would recommend you review some of Konrad's work here.

If you have not yet found it I would recommend plasticsoldierreview.com - you can review basically every set produced. There are pictures and pretty well written reviews. I like the reviews but usually base my buying on the pictures and what I think I can do with a particular set. Hope this helps.

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by Cameronian on 27 Feb 2013, 00:59

Dragoon, you'd be lucky to get an objective opinion on this one. Most of mine are HaT with odds and ends from a few other makers. My two cents worth:

HaT invariably have beautiful master sculpts but the finished product in the box can be a poor comparison, they seem to be better at producing infantry rather than cavalry for some reason. As others have said, I heartily recommend a look at the samples on PSR.

Italeri early sets had the horses in rather strange postures, the sculptors hadn't spent much time looking at horses in the flesh. They have improved recently.

Zvezda are superb but have fewer to choose from in your area of interest; these could get hard to get as Zvezda are shifting their focus to other areas in the market. Can be bigger than regulation 1/72. The artillery sets are especially stunning.

As far as Strelets are concerned I have not one figure of theirs. An acquired taste which I haven't acquired. Where they score is in the variety of poses in a set.

I hesitate to say it on this august forum but if you want detail and accuracy in plastic go for Perry 28mm! I like 1/72 because they're cheap and challenging ;-)
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Dragoon on 27 Feb 2013, 02:38

Thank you to everyone who replyed. I will be sure to have a look at the site suggested. I would also like to say thank you for the warm welcome. I look forward to spending more time here.

Regards
Dragoon
Dragoon  Canada

Posted by Marshall Nay on 27 Feb 2013, 09:19

Hi Dragoon, One more tip.

Some of Italeri's sets are distributed as Revell products, so I'd add Revell to your manufacturers list.
They're the same sculpts, just different boxes. It'll give you more options with price and availability.
PSR does a good job listing the duplicates. :thumbup:
Marshall Nay  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Zed1 on 27 Feb 2013, 21:38

Well - I find this question hard to answer.
For example: I like Strelets' French cuirassiers and French hussars for their chunky, comical image... but their Russian hussars and Saxon garde du corps look just awful.
HaT - some sets look nice, others totally weird.
Same with Italeri.

I would just say - it depends rather on the set then on the manufacturer.
Zed1  Germany

Posted by MABO on 01 Mar 2013, 10:48

That´s right Sascha!

But Zvezda is - in my oppinion - the best choise, but there are only a few sets.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Questions