Questions

HaT French Line Grenadiers 1812

Posted by vellek on 14 Jan 2013, 18:48

I'm in a bit of a quandry as to how to best use the 1808-12 French Line Grenadiers from HaT. I'd like to paint them for the 1812 Russian campaign, but do I need to do away with the bearskin headgear? Most of my research gives me the impression that a large majority of the French line infantry grenadiers had gone over to the shako by that point.

How about using them as Italians, or one of Napoleon's German allies? Any views are appreciated.

Thanks!
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Zed1 on 26 Feb 2013, 03:02

Long story.
Although being officially replaced by the shako, a noticeable amount of units kept the bearskins. Some even reintroduced them. They still were very popular among light infantry carabiniers (to which the line grenadiers can easily be converted). And as always, there was a wild mixture of yes-or-no among the regiments. There was even a handful of line units which still used the bearskins until 1814.
So there's no problem in using bearskin hats for French soldiers for the Russia campaign in general.

Regarding Italy bearskins would only be suitable for guard units like grenadiers and velites. Line and light regiments had abandoned their bearskins until 1812.
Naples kept bearskins for grenadiers, carabiniers and guards until the very end.
Concerning German states, there doesn't have to have been much use of that sort of headgear as far as I know. Before the Napoleonic period, the grenadier mitra seems to have been more common and afterwards, specific helmets and the typical shako dominate the scene. I only found evidence for bearskins for Baden (grenadier guards, see http://empire.histofig.com/-Infanterie-.html) and Westphalia (also grenadier guards http://empire.histofig.com/-Garde-royale-.html) for the period around 1812.

vellek wrote:I'm in a bit of a quandry as to how to best use the 1808-12 French Line Grenadiers from HaT. I'd like to paint them for the 1812 Russian campaign, but do I need to do away with the bearskin headgear? Most of my research gives me the impression that a large majority of the French line infantry grenadiers had gone over to the shako by that point.

How about using them as Italians, or one of Napoleon's German allies? Any views are appreciated.

Thanks!
Zed1  Germany

Posted by vellek on 26 Feb 2013, 20:30

Thanks Sascha! :-D
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Return to Questions