Questions

Is the Paint Industry trying to kill us? Warning call!!!

Posted by DAKfreak on 03 Jan 2013, 04:19

Recently I have had the misfortune of finding out that some Vallejo Acrylics, (which I had changed to from Testors paints because they were labelled as NON TOXIC), contain Cadmium, (a highly toxic element found in many red, yellow and orange paints), which is banned by the EU. The irony is that Vallejo is made in Spain with the EU Health Approved Label. And then under the label it says "NO HEALTH LABEL REQUIRED" which is a bit shady.

Is there any organic alternative? :cry:

I guess it makes the production way cheaper than using organic substances? :roll:

Lead, Cadmium, Glycol Ethers, Astatine, Cobalt, Chromium, Mercury, Tin, Antimony, Thinners, Turpentine, and Solvents galore! :tongue:

Anyone else slightly piqued at the notion of the companies putting harmful toxins in our paints just to save a lousy buck?!

:angry3: :angry2: :angry1: :x
DAKfreak  

Posted by Kekso on 03 Jan 2013, 12:18

I think in some cases it isn't mater of cost. Simply, there is no effective color pigment substitute than one with heavy metals.
Second, we must differ chemical elements form chemical compounds. In one case element (e.g. mercury) is toxic but its compound
isn't (so called amalgams - mercury alloys). So, I think your question is very complex and you wouldn't find absolute answer.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Ender Duman on 03 Jan 2013, 12:20

First of all you need to calm down :)
Yes we all need to be aware of the ingredients in the paints that we come into contact so often. But that doesn't mean that it is legitimate to name turpentine and thinners in the same sentence with mercury and cadmium. My girl friend is a painter. She uses oil paints all the time. Just like hundreds of thousands of painters before did use them. These materials font kill you instantly you know. You have to be orderly when you use them, that's all.

Furthermore, I don't think that Vallejo uses "real" Cadmium in their paints. If they are concerned with the cost of their paints more than they are concerned with our health (I believe that you are right on that regard. They are capitalists right, profit first:) ) they would prefer using alternatives. Because real cadmium is much more expensive than alternatives. This is true for other pigments also. All real earth pigments are more expensive than their synthetic alternatives.
Ender Duman  Turkey

Posted by Ben Bob on 03 Jan 2013, 16:15

Apple Barrel acrylics.
$.55 per tube. Non-Toxic. Durable on kits and figures if treated correctly. Every color is available from most craft and super centers.
http://lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS/PDFs/505/Apple%20Barrel%20Acrylic%20Paint%20(Plaid%20Enterprises).pdf
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 03 Jan 2013, 17:22

DAKfreak wrote:Anyone else slightly piqued at the notion of the companies putting harmful toxins in our paints just to save a lousy buck?!

If they are..and and not labelling it as such, and I find out for sure then they´ll be getting a nice little letter.
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 03 Jan 2013, 20:10

http://www.testors.com/media/document/M ... 032811.pdf
looks like They all contain titanium dioxide. No more sucking brushes to get a sharp tip!!
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ben Bob on 03 Jan 2013, 21:15

yummy :-)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by Martin on 03 Jan 2013, 23:10

Paul wrote:http://www.testors.com/media/document/MS.0013000.032811.pdf
looks like They all contain titanium dioxide. No more sucking brushes to get a sharp tip!!

so DAKfreak is a little bit right with his concern?
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by entrauner on 04 Jan 2013, 04:57

I wonder if you guys are all non smokers :mrgreen:
entrauner  Austria

Posted by zzed on 04 Jan 2013, 09:51

labels should read - 'a danger of cutting down your own ear after prolonged usage'
zzed  Croatia

Posted by Ender Duman on 04 Jan 2013, 16:25

I wonder if you guys are all non smokers
:-) I quit a year ago...

Can you imagine what our lives would be like if we stopped using Titanium Dioxide? The industries drink that stuff like water...
Furthermore, I believe that our humble hobby of painting plastic toy soldiers is the last place to start worrying about cancerogenic materials.
Ender Duman  Turkey

Posted by Marshall Nay on 05 Jan 2013, 21:48

California has stricter labeling laws than many other states, and here's how their cadmium label reads:
"WARNING: DO NOT SPRAY APPLY - THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS CADMIUM, A CHEMICAL KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER BY MEANS OF INHALATION."

As a liquid or as a dry film, cadmium is perfectly safe. It's toxic when breathing cadmium dust. So sanding or spray painting cadmium is unhealthy unless you use a good quality mask, and clean up well after sanding or spraying.

I even managed to have a phone conversation with the president of the American artist's paint manufacturer GAMBLIN, and he himself is an artist. I expressed my worries, and he reassured me that unless I'm breathing cadmium dust, there's really nothing to worry about. I came away from the conversation with the impression that the labeling is more a reflection of the litigious nature of society, than of the extreme danger of the material.

So in the words of Alfred E. Neuman, "What, me worry?" :-D
Marshall Nay  United States of America

Return to Questions