Questions

Scots Greys Head Dress

Posted by Dragoon on 20 Nov 2012, 05:15

Hello everyone. Once again i have come to pick your brains. I do not know that much history on the head dress the Scots Greys wore at Waterloo, and my referance materiaal is limited. That said my question is why does the Italeri 1/72 Scots Greys have the wrapped head dress and "most" paintings etc have the standard bear skin uncovered with white plume? I would like to make the figures as accurate as i can and i hope the figures out of the box are.So any insight would be great.

Again regards and thank-you
Dragoon
Dragoon  Canada

Posted by von Auerbergh on 20 Nov 2012, 08:20

IMO the only contemporary source, from a Corporal John Dickson of the Greys:
"I had lost the plume of my bearskin on passing through the second column, a musket shot had carried it away."
von Auerbergh  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Nov 2012, 08:49

I've read that the day before Waterloo was rainy so they covered their headdresses in oilcloth (I think). Then maybe some removed it if they thought the weather would be better. Italeri maybe made their figures like this so they could go with the older ESCI figures. They look very similar and can even have the same sculptor.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 20 Nov 2012, 12:04

Susofrick wrote:I've read that the day before Waterloo was rainy so they covered their headdresses in oilcloth (I think). Then maybe some removed it if they thought the weather would be better. Italeri maybe made their figures like this so they could go with the older ESCI figures. They look very similar and can even have the same sculptor.

That is what I know. The weather was so bad on the 17th June 1815, that the whole night was rainy. So everybody was in bad conditions the next day. As far as I know the headgear covered with oilskin is correct. And the Scots Grey did not carry a flag. That is not corect in the famous movie and on some famous paintings.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dragoon on 21 Nov 2012, 05:49

Again thank-you alll for the knowledge and time.

Regards
Dragoon
Dragoon  Canada

Return to Questions