Questions

Suction airbrush question.

Posted by JakeHumble94 on 16 Nov 2012, 17:44

I bought a suction airbrush this week and i've just been getting to grips with it, it's only a cheap one that I bought off of eBay. With it being a suction airbrush it relies on the little jar below for paint etc. Because i've been using the small tins of Humbrol enamel however, i've only ever put a little bit of paint and thinner in the little jar because if I put lots in it would take up nearly a full pot of paint. So, i'll start painting and then when the paint starts to run out it will go all spluttery. Do I need a jar that's at least half full to have a good jet of paint?

Jake
JakeHumble94  United Kingdom

Posted by David O'Brien on 26 Nov 2012, 03:26

All airbrushes are suction- either with a compressor or a can of compressed air (aerosol).

The feed tube in the jar should be about 2mm from the bottom of the jar. When it runs out it goes spluttery that is correct. The amount of paint doesn't matter though too much and it will separate out if you take too long so the bottom gets sludgy. Yes they can use a lot of paint and thinners on small projects and they need to be cleaned out thoroughly after use. If you are commercial rather than a hobbyist then those costs are absorbed by the speed of painting a batch. 1/35th scale tanks etc have a bigger surface area so it is far more viable. Airbrushes with small cups over and behind the nozzle are better if you are changing colours a lot or using small amounts. A graphic designer would usually use one with a small cup rather than a jar

I brush paint most of mine now and use acrylic washes,weathering powders etc.

David
David O'Brien  

Return to Questions