Questions

New Kits

Posted by Cortmeister on 29 Oct 2012, 15:02

Hello everyone, quick question about where to get new kits.
I live in Winnipeg, Canada and although there are a few hobbyshops around, they are very limited in 1 72 scale military models and figures. What they do have is often on the expensive side.

My question is mainly for those modelers in Canada and the US: where do you guys go online to purchase your kits and figures? I guess I am looking for a site with a good selection, good prices and decent shipping.
I have been buying mostly on dragonusa.com, their prices are good when they have sales going on, but I'd like to check out some other sites with different manufacturers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cortmeister  Canada

Posted by PDA on 29 Oct 2012, 19:20

Hi Cortmeister.

I used to use Harfields in England. They have good prices, excellent customer service, and quick and reasonably priced shipping, as well as a lot of rare and out of production sets. I will still use them in future, but lately I haven't needed anything from them specifically.

Lately I have been using Tracks and Troops in Czech Republic. Because you are not in the EU all the prices are reduced by 19%, but you won't see this until you log in (which is painless). To your cart contents €20 is added for shipping, but you will not pay €20, you will pay the actual shipping cost which, every time I've used them has been less than €20. The number is just there for the check out process. They have a wide selection and excellent customer service, and with that 19% off they have great prices.

I also use Jadar Hobby in Poland. They also have a discount for non-EU people like us, 22%. Excellent service, speedy shipping.

Note that the reduction in VAT does not apply to books and mags, which have a different VAT rate (14% in Czech Republic, 0% in Poland)
PDA  England

Posted by Marshall Nay on 30 Oct 2012, 12:00

I'm not an expert on sources in Canada, but the Canadian online shop that I happen on most often is Woodrow's: http://www.toysoldiers.ca/

The shop I use most often in the U.S. is Scalehobbyist: http://www.scalehobbyist.com/
They never have sales but their prices generally beat other shop's regular prices, with particularly good deals on HaT kits.

Hope this helps. ;-)
Marshall Nay  United States of America

Posted by Ben Bob on 31 Oct 2012, 13:34

I'm in the US and have no hobby shops within about 60 miles in either direction :roll:

I buy kits from mega hobby. They are cheap, well stocked, and have massive range;

and figures from The Toy Soldier Company. They have excellent service, average prices, and about every figure ever made, 20mm plastic-70mm metal.

Good luck.
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by Cortmeister on 01 Nov 2012, 13:41

Thx for the tips guys, I'll be checking these sites out soon, as my shelf in my hobbyroom is getting a little bare!
Cortmeister  Canada

Posted by PDA on 02 Nov 2012, 13:11

You're welcome Cortmeister.

Just remember to subtract the sizeable discount from shops in the EU (that offer it), and add on the shipping and handling. It's really quite surprising; what looks like a good deal turns sour very often when you see how much they charge you for shipping and handling. Also, a lot of the "East European" kits are far cheaper to buy in Eastern Europe than they are to buy from North America. The postage from Western Europe is some of the most expensive, North American is not far behind, with Eastern European being amongst the cheapest.

Have a good read of their website. Many have discounts that Canadians can use. Bryn Ych, for example, of Always Model has a discount if you order from his website rather than his ebay shop, and a further discount of you can do without the boxes.
PDA  England

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Questions