Questions

Napoleonic Prussian post 1806 Questions

Posted by Ben Bob on 09 Aug 2012, 18:50

Hello people. I've done a bit of research on the subject in my personal book collection but still have a few questions.

Collars and cuffs are in the provincial color.
And shoulder straps are in order of battalion seniority: White, red, yellow respectively.

This about covers all the unique features of each uniform that I can see, therefor what makes each regiment unique?
I'm used to the British where most regiments had a different facing color, then company distinctions through wings and shako tufts.

Also, what is the basic difference in uniform of the grenadier coys/battalion and musketeers and fusilier battalions

Thanks a million.
I'm working on the newer Prussians by Hat :love3: and may post pictures when [if] I finish my brigade.
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 10 Aug 2012, 07:57

"What makes each regiment unique?"

I think their number and regimental flag. Collars and cuffs you already mentioned.

Here you can find some very good uniform plates: http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ben Bob on 10 Aug 2012, 16:43

Thanks so much Peter, that link is an amazing reference source :love:
Welcome back also :-)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by Zed1 on 14 Aug 2012, 23:53

Ben Bob wrote:Hello people. I've done a bit of research on the subject in my personal book collection but still have a few questions.

Hi there! I've recognized your post a bit late, eh? Peter gave you the MSJ site, which is a nice reference for the start.
A good reference for the flags is http://uniform-evolution.0catch.com/prussia50.html, for it also mentions details like the flag pole colour that are not mentioned on MSJ. This site also hold a lot of nice infos about the Prussian army, pre- and after 1806.

Collars and cuffs are in the provincial color.
And shoulder straps are in order of battalion seniority: White, red, yellow respectively.

Regularly yes, but note the differences for certain reserve regiments!
Please note that shoulder straps, theoretically deviding the regiments by the provincial number (1st Pommeranian white, 2nd Pommeranian red...) work in a different way for the Landwehr, where the shoulder strap colours are used to mark the specific batallions.

This about covers all the unique features of each uniform that I can see, therefor what makes each regiment unique? I'm used to the British where most regiments had a different facing color, then company distinctions through wings and shako tufts.

Well - you forgot the sabre tassel. Look at MSJ, it's well described there: the colour code of the tassel shows to which batallion and company the soldier belongs. The third batallion of each regiment was the fusilier batallion, which had an own kind of colour code referring only to the company.
Plus Peter was right - the flags were the main difference apart from cuffs&collar.

Also, what is the basic difference in uniform of the grenadier coys/battalion and musketeers and fusilier battalions

Mainly the colour of the straps. Black for fusiliers, white for musketeers. Fusiliers wore a cutlass, not a sabre. As they fullfilled the role of light infantry, they had cornets and carried no flag into battle. In addition, fusilier regiments had detachements of volunteer jagers, wearing the green uniforms of the jager units.

Oh - and one very important aspect is that you should decide wether your army is for the summer/winter campaign of 1813/1814 or for the Waterloo scenario. The reason why I say that refers to the NCOs. As you can see on MSJ, they have a golden or silver (depends on the regiment) line running along the upper side of cuffs&collar. This is the late war version. For the early campaign, it was exactly the other way round.

If you like to go with the early campaign, you could also make a slight change on your figures in order to paint them up as guard infantry: carefully carve off the button tab of the cuffs. Then paint them like this: Image
(note the two white laces on cuffs&collars. The badge on the ammo pouch must be carved off and replaced by a silver guard star, rest of the uniform is the same as in the other line regiments, two grenadier (white straps) and one fusilier batallion (black straps)). Flagpole for guard regiments were yellow.
Zed1  Germany

Return to Questions