Questions

Paint the horse? Then the Rider? Or both together?

Posted by JohnnyRockets on 07 Aug 2012, 20:45

I have a Newbie question.

I have never painted a figure on a horse. :shock:

What is the best way to do this?

1) Attach the figure to the horse and paint?

2) Paint figure, then paint horse, then attach?

Suggestions please. Thanks a lot! :-D
JohnnyRockets  United States of America

Posted by Bramble15 on 07 Aug 2012, 21:06

Welcome JohnnyRockets - I have learned the following;
- heat a pin with a rounded head and insert in the under area of the rider
- elmers glue the horse to an appropriate size plastic bottle cap (water, gatorade etc.)
By doing the above you can effectively paint without getting your fingures all over the figures and horses. BTW stick the pin with attached rider into a piece of styrofoam or something similair while paint is drying.
Test fit your rider first. If all is well paint them seperately and then attach after completed.

Hope this helps.

Rich
Bramble15  United States of America

Posted by von Auerbergh on 07 Aug 2012, 21:07

Depends on ...
If the rider grips the horse really tight, I glue them before painting. But I do this only if everything can be painted afterwards.
Hope you know what I mean ...
von Auerbergh  Germany

Posted by JohnnyRockets on 07 Aug 2012, 21:30

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate it!

Bramble15, I like this technique and will be using it tonight, thank you.

von Auerbergh, I understand, and this seems like a great idea when they fit super tight, thank you also.

Really appreciate your great tips. :-D

JR
JohnnyRockets  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 08 Aug 2012, 12:44

Get a sowing needle and using pliers push this sharp end into the seat of the rider so that it holds without the rider spinning on the needle. Then push the blunt end (the eye) of the needle into the top end of a rubber wine cork (the new fangled types that are replacing real cork ones)
The cork acts then as a stand and for holding the rider as you paint.
Cut the wine cork in two halves (two short cylinders) and it makes them more stable.

To remove, hold the rider (wrapped in a soft cloth) grip the needle with the pliers and pull in a twisting action.
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bramble15 on 08 Aug 2012, 17:34

@ Paul - great advice but I have one question - Based upon the number of figures you paint, and the number of corks needed, how many bottles of wine must you drink to produce said numbers. Please break down by week/month/year!! :lol:
Bramble15  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by franznap on 22 Aug 2012, 12:33

paint both separate, and just use your hands to hold them, the horse from its base, and the rider from the feet, which you will paint for last.
hands are always the best tool in my opinion...... use the holding handas a support for the brush.....
franznap  Netherlands
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Cameronian on 23 Aug 2012, 08:50

If the two parts are a tight fit, definitely put them together before painting. If you paint them separately, then fit them together nasty damage is done to the paint job on both pieces. I know 'cos I was there :cry:
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Wolfie65 on 27 Aug 2012, 13:42

I first test- fit rider to horse to see if any adjustments need to be made.
I use one of those little hand drills to make holes in the rider and saddle, then glue a pin or length of wire into the rider - which will also help hold him in a cork/piece of styrofoam or something while I paint him.
Clean flash and mold lines off the figures, then wash them in hot water with a drop of dishsoap and a dash of vinegar.
Let dry, then glue the horse to whatever base I need, which usually means metal washers.
Prime figures
I paint them separately and only glue the rider to the horse when finished, then seal the whole thing.
Wolfie65  United States of America

Return to Questions