Questions

Citadel (GWS) New Paints

Posted by Cor V. on 14 May 2012, 15:37

All Citadel (GWS) paints are replaced with a complete new line of colors (or names?).

Cor V.  

Posted by von Auerbergh on 14 May 2012, 15:44

Increasing prices didn´t work, but maybe they get rid off their last followers this way :-)
von Auerbergh  Germany

Posted by Paul on 14 May 2012, 15:56

What a bunch of idiots..who do they think they are kidding!! ? Abbadon Black :roll: It´s f**king black for crying out loud..anything a bit less black is grey..and how is that achieved? By adding white maybe? and the celestra grey..they´ve bunged a bit of blue in !!! :roll:
Just goes to show what market base they are aiming at..
lazy brats who can just about be arsed to lift the paintpot lid instead of mixing colours and with access to thier parent´s wallet or as they say it with thier yellow..Flash Gitz.
While they are at it..they should change the name of the range to MUGZ.
I´m off to kick the dog :angry2:
Paul  China

Posted by MABO on 14 May 2012, 19:35

I think the prices of their sets are on a level that is unbelievable. I have a collection of their LOTR-range but I have stopped to buy the last missing figs. They want to much money. I think I will try ebay to get the rest. And changing the colors is a f...ing idea as Paul said. Keeping in mind the poor younger ones who have not so much money they are the loosers.

:angry3:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Susofrick on 15 May 2012, 07:46

Can only agree with the others. Now they won't have me as a customer anymore. :angry3:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 15 May 2012, 16:56

I'm happy I could buy a whole bunch of their old paints for 1.5 euro/can. And if these are empty I buy Revell ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by z1pp132002 on 16 May 2012, 06:53

Damn what happened to the known names for colour?? Imagine your son walking up to you and saying, Dad look at the beautiful Caledor sky. WTF it is Blue, Caledor is not a colour!!!!
z1pp132002  

Posted by Paul on 16 May 2012, 07:09

z1pp132002 wrote: Caledor is not a colour!!!!

:thumbup: There are some odd names for all the accepted colours ..but none of the GW ones are there;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors
Paul  China

Posted by zzed on 16 May 2012, 21:59

white is white, you can buy it anywhere, but if you are instructed to search for a 'Ceramite White', you can buy it only from GW, for a triple price :-)
I never bought a colour based on the number or a naming convention, you may get what you don't really need
zzed  Croatia

Posted by ModernKiwi on 21 May 2012, 12:39

Short answer was that Vallejo's "Game Color" range used a number of paint names that were almost identical to the GW ones. So the new paints use GW IP in their names to prevent this. It is still a PITA with the name changes though when you are used to something else.

By the way, I've bought a couple of them and the "Ceremite White" is pretty good. Two coats of white and you can't see any sign of a black undercoat which is quite impressive (IMHO).
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Tantallon2 on 31 May 2012, 20:33

I'm going to be an iconoclast and say that I quite like them!

I went into a GW shop and had one of the earnest young men (they are always earnest young men - where are the women gamers?) explain the range to me. All the colours are in fact new as are the formulations. The wash range (now called shades) has been improved and expanded (the red wash is stronger and there is a nice yellow wash and a range of greens - they are also supposed to be less shiny when dry). I like the liquid green stuff in the technical range and the textured base pots are a nice idea (though you could do the same thing yourself by adding some sand to paint!). I'm not sure the glazes are worthwhile unless you are a really obsessive painter working to really high standards. I don't think they would have much effect at our scale though I can see the attraction for really detailed work.

Best bit IMHO is the base coat range. This is a lot larger than the old Foundation range and will make it much easier to paint figures faster because of the good coverage. The Layer range is basically the replacements for the old Citadel colour range but again expanded and (supposedly) improved. I have tried the Evil Sunz scarlet and it is an improvement over the old reds in terms of coverage.

Lastly, there is a range of dry wash colours. This is an interesting idea. The paint is really thick and so can be dry brushed direct from the pot making dry brushing a bit easier.

Reading some of the painting tips I would say that the new range is partly a response to the Army Painter revolution that makes it much easier to paint up large units really quickly. Some of the range combinations in the Citadel paints make it very easy to get through lots of figures really quickly while still delivering a good job and I would say that the base range and the washes are probably well worth having (and I'm going to try some of the dry brush pots as well).

Some of the paints are, however, really aimed at the sort of guys who reach what GW call heavy Metal standard rather than a wargame painter like me.

As to GW models and their cost: I can only agree - they are an incredible price for bits of moulded plastic and most end up unpainted and eventually appear on ebay. However, I'm reminded of the famous quote that Mr Coleman made his fortune from what people left at the side of their plates (He owned Coleman's Mustard - an English mustard of surprising popularity but whose vile yellow colour is matched only by its rather acrid taste!).

Last word on the new GW paint range: a significant improvement over the old range with some interesting new ideas in the range.
Tantallon2  Scotland

Posted by Wolfie65 on 16 Aug 2012, 01:53

Women gamers???? :lol: :roll: :joker:
Right.........

Anyway, I haven't used acrylics in many years, but if I were to do so, and I needed them to be of good quality, I would go to my local art supply store and get some Golden fluids.
They cost roughly the same or somewhat less than GW paints, but you get about triple the amount of paint and it is of 10 times better quality.
If I don't need really high quality - say, for terrain or maybe buildings - I'll go to Hobby Lobby and pick from their various ranges of acrylics at prices that would make the greedy bean counting bastards at GW do cartwheels of horror in their graves.
Wolfie65  United States of America

Return to Questions