Questions

About casting a figure

Posted by Ochoin on 12 Jul 2014, 03:12

@ Beeno Boy

I'm sure you were making a point with your post. Darned if I can work out what it was.
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 20 Jul 2014, 08:22

After all the kind support that I received from members on the issue of casting remoulds of other peoples work,I decided to delve into the Legal Issues myself,and it is most interesting too. Researching legal matters is what I like to do.( Copyright issues.) That is why I only post pictures in Common Domain here on the Forum to avoid legal issues for Benno.I went right back to 1910,and right up to Today on Copyright law.Although I am not a Lawyer, and as such this cannot be recognised as a legal notice,it is however fact under International Law.

So sit back and take note. You can remould with use of a model figure as a pattern for your own use. However you cannot sell it,or others. Even taking parts from models and remoulding them is a violation under law if you are selling them. ( Known as Piracy and /Recasting.) All Part`s are protected under Copyright Law. People infringing this Law will receive Legal Cease and Desist notices or face a Lawsuite. Knowing how some members wish to apply their business in a most upright and legal way I thought I`d post this here for all to see. Once again all those sending me emails of support I thank you one and all.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 20 Jul 2014, 10:23

@Ochoin... sorry for replying so late... I'm glad your search for Oyumaru ended well and I hope you got some good results by now.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by David O'Brien on 21 Jul 2014, 02:50

I often cast (actually press mould) small items using Milliput. Firstly I use white Milliput for the mould ( female ) , let it dry hard and then black Milliput for the cast part (male). Blanket rolls, back packs etc can be made this way. I am sure the shields could be made like this. You could put a piece of plastic rod or a pin in the shield at the drying stage to make the fixing more secure.
BTW Tin (as described in the casting pics) in the UK is called white metal. Tin, as we call it, is usually obtained from the ore Cassiterite (SnO2) and is the pure metal. Most white metal alloys contain tin but are not pure tin. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_metal
The white metal in my AFV models is not as soft as the white metal in my model figures. Some metal combinations in the alloy are better for crisper detail and strength though may need a higher melting point and may be more expensive. Most people who cast model figures have learnt, by trial and error, the best alloy combination for their product. I am looking at some white metal Vepa figures in front of me and they are superb castings, truly amazing. I have some old 1980s Hinchcliffe figures and they look crude in comparison. The bar is high now.

David
David O'Brien  

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Jul 2014, 23:47

This is all shown on Casting Metals on You Tube.So I hope there are no objections for showing this here. These pictures from the Prince August Web Site,fully explain how it is done. You can shop around for cheaper metals on the Internet. ( I advise that you do not melt Lead!) Moulds sold are in 25mm, 28mm,32mm,40,mm,and 54mm scale.

Perfectly Legal,but don`t sell them or give them away they are fully protected by copyright law
( Piracy Act ) precedent has already been set down in the law court of Germany,Great Britain,America and elsewhwere, on violation of copyright.
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Previous page

Return to Questions